Wednesday, December 13, 2023 / 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST
Topic: Blood Bank Mythbusters V
Matthew Elkins, MD, PhD
Transfusion Medicine Director
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Matthew completed his MD and PhD at the University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign and completed his AP/CP pathology residency and Transfusion Medicine/Blood Banking fellowship at the University of Michigan. He is the Transfusion Medicine Director, Director of Apheresis, Stem Cell Laboratory Associate Director, Medical Director of Chemistry, and Director of the Upstate Cord Blood Bank. In addition to these clinical roles, he serves as the Pathology Department Quality Officer and chairs 3 institutional quality committees. He is the Director of the SUNY Upstate Transfusion Medicine/Blood Banking fellowship and Associate Director of the SUNY Upstate Pathology residency program. Matthew is a dedicated educator and proponent for interdepartmental and inter-institutional collaboration for best clinician learning as well as patient care.
Blood Bank Mythbusters V is the latest installment of the series addressing commonly held beliefs about blood products and transfusions. Prior talks have focused on myths held by blood bank laboratorians and myths held by clinicians. This installment will focus on frequent myths held by patients and the non-medical community.
1) Explain the background information for each of the myths presented.
2) Describe the data and scientific foundation of the science supporting the truth of each topic.
3) Present in an understandable way the correct interpretation of the data when confronting people holding one of these myths as true.
- Members: FREE (Registration is required.)
- Non-Members: $45 per session & $130 entire series
- Institutions: $75 per session & $200 entire series
To receive member pricing, be sure to sign in.