Wednesday, March 8, 2023 / 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST
Title: Transfusion Reactions/Case Studies
Dr. Ghazala Nathu, MS, MD, Ph.D, FACB
Medical/Molecular Clinical Pathology Director - Cobleskill Regional Hospital (Bassett Network)
Assistant Medical Director – ATVIVO, Medical Reference NY
Assistant Professor – Albany College of Pharmacy
Bassett, Atvivo, Albany College of Pharmacy
I am currently a licensed practicing Medical/Molecular Pathology Director in New York, New Jersey. I have a COQ-Certification of Qualification as a Laboratory Director from the New York State Department of Health in the following categories: Molecular/Genetic Testing limited to Molecular Pathology, Oncology, Molecular and Cellular Tumor Markers, Cellular Immunology Malignant, Non Malignant Leukocyte Immunophenotyping, Bacteriology, Blood pH and Gases, Clinical Chemistry, Clinical Toxicology, Diagnostic Immunology, Endocrinology, Hematology, Immunohematology, Parasitology, Molecular testing in pharmacogenomics, Ther. Sub. Mon,/ Quant. Tox. (Oncology), and Virology in the Clinical Pathology setting. I also am a NYSDOH Tissue Bank Compliance Officer in the following categories: Musculoskeletal tissue, Skin tissue, and Amniotic Fluid Membrane. I have developed and taught medical science courses, as well as participated in online courses during my graduate studies; affording me a depth and breathe of experience with this challenging and exciting technologic learning medium. I have over 30 years of experience as a health care professional educator at the college level, first at Albany Medical College, Albany College of Pharmacy and then at Hudson Valley Community College, Bryant and Stratton College, and Mildred Elley. I am an assistant professor at College of Pharmacy I also have over 30 years’ experience in clinical pathology in base labs, doctors offices and hospital settings. I am currently a Medical/Molecular Director at the Cobleskill Regional Hospital, Clinical Director at Fast Medical Reference Lab Medical lab, and Assistant Medical at ATVIVO Medical Lab. I am currently a board member for Emergency Medicine/Transfusion/Pharmacy Medicine for CRH, and BBANYS Educational Committee Board Member.
Identify various types of blood and blood products and the reasons for their administration to a patient
Identify the risks of blood transfusion
Identify the essential steps necessary in the safe administration of blood and blood products to a patient
1. Physicians and medical/clinical health allied will be able to explain the role of molecular testing in transfusion reaction medicine
2. Physicians and medical/clinical health allied will be able to describe the identify the risk of blood transfusion.
3. Physicians and medical/clinical health allied will be able to recognize the current limitations of molecular testing.
4. Physicians and medical/clinical health allied will be able to identify and discuss nursing interventions for the patient with transfusion reaction.
- Members: FREE (Registration is required.)
- Non-Members: $45 per session & $130 entire series
- Institutions: $75 per session & $200 entire series
To receive member pricing, be sure to sign in.